Old rule: Remove makeup before you workout
New rule: Choose the right makeup before you workout
Looking hot and looking hot while exercising are two entirely different things. Looking hot (as in, temperature) is easy - 10 minutes into your workout, and you're practically guaranteed to have sweat rolling down your red face as your hair starts to frizz up like rising steam.
Looking hot is a different story. No matter how good you look when you get to the gym, as your internal temperature starts to rise, your external appearance starts to fall. Now, don't get me wrong - a strong woman is a sexy woman, so you don't need to get all primped up before a sweat session if that's not your style; but, if you tend to feel better about yourself with a light layer of foundation and a quick slick of mascara, there's no reason to skip the makeup just because you're heading to the gym.
But how do you know what makeup to choose? If you're a minimalist, a tinted foundation and water resistant mascara are about all you'll need, but a makeup brand's formulation should play a big part in your decision-making process. You want cosmetics that are hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and will allow your skin to "breathe" even in the sweatiest of exercise sessions. Plus, you don't want makeup that's going to streak or crease, leaving gnarly tell-tale makeup stains on your sweat towel or t-shirt.
Finding a makeup brand that meets all these parameters isn't all that easy...unless, of course, a makeup brand has been designed specifically for the athletic, sporty woman! Enter, Rae Cosmetics, a line of heat-, humidity- and perspiration-resistant makeup that's "designed to take the heat like the women who wear it." We were intrigued by the concept, so we caught up with the Austin, Texas founder, Rochelle Rae, to learn more about the brand.
Rae Cosmetics: Inspiration and development
GirlsGoneSporty (GGS): I’d never heard of a makeup line designed specifically for the active woman. What inspired you to create this line of beauty products?
Rochelle Rae (RR): After going to makeup school in LA, I moved back to Austin and found out that the products and techniques I used in LA just didn’t work in the hot, humid climate of Texas. It was frustrating to try to make up a client’s face, only to see the makeup start to melt away within minutes of finishing her look. That frustration became the spark I needed to create a product to fix this problem. In doing so, I realized it's not just women in Texas who need perspiration-resistant makeup, but any active woman, from the serious athlete to someone in a Pilates class, who can benefit. Even the mom who spends her days chasing after a couple of kids needs the extra heat-resistance! The fact is, we all want to look good, even when we sweat.
GGS: There are lots of mineral makeup brands on the market – what’s different about Rae Cosmetics that makes it perfect for the sporty woman?
RR: The active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. These antioxidants are insoluble in water, so the makeup stays on even while you sweat. The concentrated pigments increase the opacity of the products, so very little is needed to provide great but lightweight coverage. These ingredients are also the purest and most effective active ingredients for sun protection - providing a non-chemical sunscreen of SPF 20 which blocks UVA and UVB rays. And, the anti-inflammatory properties calm and protect the skin while encouraging skin healing.
GGS: How did you go about creating products that are heat- and moisture-resistant?
RR: It began by playing around with foundations - I started adding different combinations of moisturizer and water to the foundations to “lighten them up," thinking that would allow the skin to breathe while preventing the makeup from sliding off. It did help, but I needed some assistance to come up with the actual products, and I began searching to find a company to help. After testing a few companies out, I finally found someone who helped me create the fabulous Rae Cosmetics line I have today.
Putting the cosmetics to work
GGS: How have you tested your products to ensure they stand up to the challenge of keeping active women both comfortable and beautiful?
RR: First, I personally wear my cosmetics to the gym, Pilates classes, the hike and bike trail, on the lake and while trying to survive a Texas summer- it’s amazing! We also sent a group of girls to an hour-long boot camp after applying their makeup to see how it would work. It was another success story!
>>Check out the YouTube video of the Boot Camp test below
GGS: What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever heard of someone doing while wearing Rae Cosmetics?
RR: Women wear it doing just about everything. A few examples of some of the most extreme athletic ladies who wear our line include Desiree Ficker, a profession triathlete and Ironman champion, Anne Marie Bloodgood, a dancer for the Austin Ballet, Jessica Sharratt, a CrossFit Trainer and competitor, Monica Brant, an IFBB Fitness Olympia Champion and Yelena Leuchanka, the center for the Atlanta Dream professional basketball team.
GGS: You actually sponsor champion triathlete Desiree Ficker – does she wear Rae Cosmetics while training and competing?
RR: Absolutely, she definitely does. I even went with her to Puerto Rico to compete in the Ironman competition. She didn’t wear all the makeup she usually wears, but she definitely wore the mascara and gloss. She does wear it to the gym and riding her bike. She wants to look good just like every other woman. As Desiree says, “Rae Cosmetics are long lasting and look great even after grueling competition. The products are not only good for your skin, they stay on and you don’t have to worry about constantly reapplying. It’s perfect for any woman who gets out there every day and gives it her all.”
Makeup tips, tricks and trends
Spring makeup trends
GGS: What are your favorite colors and products for spring?
RR: Every year the Pantone Company announces the color of the year, and the beauty, fashion and design world takes notice. This year the color is Tangerine Tango, so we will be dancing into spring in bright orange - on eyes, lips and cheeks...but probably not all at the same time! Here are a few tips:
- A tangerine lip paired with an almost naked, but glowing, bronzed face is an easy-to-wear exotic look. Try Rae Cosmetics Beach Bronze Lip Shade SPF 15 Lipstick and the Bungalow Glow Mineral Bronzer.
- Coming out of the dreary winter months, we always look forward to the bright, cheery colors of spring. This season, color-washed eyes will bring back the fun. Sweep greens, purples and even tangerine across the lids for an on-trend 2012 look. Try Rae Cosmetics Bonfire Eyeshadow if you want to go with the orange wave, but if that's not your style, other great shades are Bluebonnet and Bamboo. If you would like your look to be a bit more subtle, try Sunrise and Bootcamp. I would pair this with a nude lip color, which makes this trend work for just about everyone. Also, try Pixie Lucky Lips Lip Gloss or Island Girl Lip Shade Lipstick.
GGS: Do you have any makeup application tips for the sporty woman who wants to look good while exercising, but doesn’t want to look “made up”?
RR: Sure thing:
- Lighten up your makeup routine a bit. Skip the heavy foundation and opt for a lightweight, oil-free tinted moisturizer, such as the Climate Control Mineral Tint SPF 20.
- Before you apply tinted moisturizer, apply a primer such as my Surface Primer. It may seem like an extra step in an already busy morning, but you’ll be happy you took the extra 20 seconds. A primer provides a smooth, matte surface for you to apply your makeup and extends the wear, keeping it in place longer.
- Mascara gives you "big bang for the buck," instantly making you look a little more pulled together. Unless you are swimming, choose a water resistant formula instead of waterproof because waterproof mascara can be pretty harsh. Try Rae Cosmetics Lush Silk Mascara, the water-binding properties in silk make it water-resistant, smudge-resistant and fast drying. It's also more gentle than waterproof formulas because it’s Infused with chamomile, juniper and protective antioxidants vitamins A, C and E. The hollow-fiber brush lifts and separates each lash, which means there's no clumping for a long and natural look.
- Don’t forget your lips. Rae Cosmetics Lip Shade SPF 15 protects and keeps them beautifully un-chapped. I like pinks and corals for working out, the lighter shades look less messy if you have to wipe the sweat off your upper lip.
- Use blotting papers. Love them, can’t live without them. They are cheap, easy to use and easy to carry. I always have a few in my pocket, my wallet and in my car – everywhere! Just press a sheet or two (or three) on your skin to get rid of extra shine. You can dust on a bit of powder if you need it, but always blot first to keep the powder from caking, leaving you with a nice glow.
GGS: Are there any other tips or any other information you would like to share with our readers?
RR: There are no real “written in stone” rules to makeup. Makeup is fun, it makes us look pretty and feel good. If you want to wear makeup to the gym, then wear it! If not, don’t! If you love blue eyeshadow, wear it! If you don’t, wear whatever makes you feel the prettiest. If you only want to allow 3 minutes to put on your makeup, then pick the two or three products that make you look your best in 3 minutes. If you reserve an hour to do your makeup and you enjoy it, great!
GGS: When you hit the gym, what’s in your gym bag?
RR: I do always wear makeup to the gym. I prove my makeup does what I claim every time I hit the gym. I wear it all, but I really don’t have a lot in my bag because I apply it at home and it stays on. I usually have oil blotters, the Rae Mineral Powder, just in case, and the Lucky Lips Lip Gloss. I love shiny lips. If I’m out on the trail or on my bike I love the Spibelt, to hold my things without bouncing all around. I love Lululemon’s Racerback tanks - I must literally have about 30!
Giving back through beauty
GGS: Can you tell us a little about the products you’ve created that help raise money for charity?
RR: Of course. Portions of the sale of two of our makeup products go to support a few of our favorite charities.
- Little Red Dress Set: This set includes a Lip Shade SPF 15 Lipstick named Little Red Dress, a natural red hue with a hint of shimmer and a long-lasting, non-drying lip liner in Scarlet. The lipstick and liner are packaged in a red Von Rae makeup bag. Fifty percent of all proceeds benefit the Austin Go Red For Women Campaign, a vital initiative that raises awareness of cardiovascular disease among women.
- SMARTIE - All this and brains, too: Smartie is a permanent addition to the Lucky Lips line of glosses. It was created specifically for Girlstart, a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering, educating and motivating young girls in science, technology, engineering and math. We at Rae Cosmetics believe that helping girls grow up to be smart, successful, independent women is not only essential for healthy self-esteem but also in creating our future leaders. Proceeds from every Smartie sold are donated to Girlstart.
We tried it! Rae Cosmetics Review
I sweat a lot when I workout. Like, to the point where I've had people come up and hand me sweat towels or make comments like, "Man, you're really sweating!" while I'm in the middle of my routine. It's true. And, it's not because I'm an excessive sweater, it's because I work really hard when at the gym.
I don't usually wear makeup while I exercise, but not because I'm opposed to it. Mainly because I'm lazy and I sweat so much. Once upon a time, in high school, I wore a lot of makeup to every basketball practice, track meet and tournament. The result usually wasn't pretty - stained t-shirts, gross-colored sweat drops, smudged mascara and streaky makeup were all the norm. So, when given the chance to try out Rae Cosmetics, I was excited to see if the result would be different. Here's what I found:
Climate Control Mineral Tint SPF 20, Mineral Powder SPF 15, Lush Silk Mascara
- The Climate Control Mineral Tint SPF 20 goes on smooth and easy, with excellent coverage - a little bit really does go a long way. It also feels light, more like a moisturizer than a makeup, so it doesn't feel like you're weighing yourself down.
- The Mineral Powder SPF 15 is equally light and comfortable, but I found myself accidentally over-applying because I underestimated the coverage of the concentrated pigments. It does cover well, so make sure you apply it lightly.
- The Lush Silk Mascara feels very light and does an excellent job of separating lashes, making them look long and full and natural. This is probably my new favorite mascara simply because of the natural, but enhanced look it gives my lashes.
I hit it hard at the gym, subscribing to my usual repertoire of high intensity interval training, plyometrics and full-body strength training exercises. The makeup stayed put throughout my routine without dripping or smudging on my clothes or towel, even though I was sweating profusely. The only small smudge I noticed was right below my brow line, where you could tell my eyelashes had left a bit of mascara.
The best part was that even though I was wearing makeup, it didn't feel like I was wearing makeup, and the overall look was natural and pretty.