There's nothing quite like the smell of a new pair of running shoes, the sound of a new playlist or the feeling of power you get when you test out a new fitness gadget. Even though exercise participation is the ultimate goal, sometimes it's the "stuff" we use that helps keep us motivated and excited to stay on top of our workouts. So I had to know -- what are the pieces of must-have work out gear and work out clothing that the Girls Gone Sporty Ambassadors hold dear to their hearts? Read on to find out!
- All of 110% Play Harder line of gear: They provide great compression, but they hit the nail on the head with their pockets and ice sleeves. When I'm actively training and racing, I think I live in their products.
- Road Runner Women's R-Gear Star Performer Sportek Bra C/D: As a large chested woman, this is the first and only bra I have found on the market that provides me enough support to only wear two while running; plus, it's comfortable (doesn't have weird seams or sucking-in feel).
- Bright orange shoe laces, because they make any workout more enjoyable!
I cannot live without my Lululemon running skirt, which is weird because I hardly wear skirts in the real world for my big girl job, but it's amazing because it has tight shorts underneath that never ride up, even for a sweaty mess with muscle-thighs like me. And not only that, but there's no chaffing anywhere - give me an amen! No riding, no chafing, the perfect wide waistband, the perfect length (not too long or too short) and not too low cut. And, it makes the booty look cute... which is totally not a reason to buy it, but a great side effect! It's amazing and I have done lots of long runs in it. Go get it...you will love it too....promise!
Three things that I cannot live without are my:
- Asics GT-2170. And can't wait to get their Breast Cancer Awareness Special edition GT-1000 PR. Woot!!
- My Polar FT4 Heart Monitor
- My Ipod full of pumping music!
I can't run without my Asics Kayanos so much that I ordered my last pair from Canada since the US was sold out! I also need my Brooks running hat and Zensah Calf Sleeves.
My Asics Gel Nimbus runners all the way, I never get blisters in them and they give my feet the support i need!
I can't live without my Garmin Forerunner! Don't know how I survived before I got it!
I love my Nike+ GPS watch, my Lebert Equalizer Bars, and not to be outdone... the embarrassing music on my iPod that only I can hear!
My iPhone! Camera, music, GPS and safety line all rolled into one!
I can't live without my Reebok RealFlex sneakers, my Under Armour ColdWear Cardio Jacket and my Reebok ZigTech bag...to throw all of my junk in!
I can't live without my Reebok RealFlex Fusions. They are so light and comfy. Perfect for CrossFit!
I can't live without my iPod Nano complete with running playlist. All my favorite heart-pumping, get-my-booty-moving music. I also love my Yurbuds earphones. These are the only earphones that actually stay in place! They are perfect for long runs when I'm super sweaty - they do not budge!
I can't go without my Under Armour Armour bra, my iPod shuffle, and Body Glide.
I can't live without my Saucony Omni 11s. They're amazing for running. And my Lululemon Groove crops and Power Y tanks help me move comfortably and look cute while I workout!
I can't live without my Nike Pro Essentials Compression Shorts! They are great for every activity! They fit perfect and don't pinch or ride up, and they make my butt look good.
I can't live without my running skirt! It's my favorite thing to run in because it doesn't ride up! And...looking cute while running is a must! I also can't live without my Garmin...I am a data nerd! I love seeing my pace, miles and calories burned!
- I don't think it is a secret to anyone that reads my blog, but I love Saucony shoes. I have three different pairs that I use depending on the type of run (short, long or trail): Saucony Kinvaras, Saucony Mirage 2s and Saucony Peregrines. They are my perfect running shoes!
- I'm a compression believer and I really can't live without my Aspaeris Pivot Shorts, which probably explains why I have four pairs and that still isn't enough! They help keep me feeling fresh even on long runs and I am going to wear them during my first marathon.
- Sad to say, but I can't live without my Garmin Forerunner 405CX, it's hard to believe that my husband and I started running without a watch (other than to keep time). It's perfect for me and I love that it is blue!
I can't live without my iPhone for my music and my running apps. They keep me on track, for sure!
I can't live without:
- My Zensah Compression Sleeves, they helped me recover from my shin splints and help keep them from coming back.
- My iFitness Hydration Belt, the most comfy one I have ever owned and that's great for hot summer days or long runs.
I can't live without:
- My compression sleeves because they help me recover faster from a tough workout. I don't feel as sore the next day if I wear them. You can even wear them to work under your pants and nobody knows!
- My kettle bells because they have been crucial to my cross training during my injury. They are a full body workout - there are so many things you can do with them. They are fairly cheap to purchase online and easy to use at home.
- My rolling pin! Yes, my rolling pin from my kitchen. It actually works better at massaging my shins than my massage stick does right now. The rolling pin helps mimick ART (Active Release Technique) therapy more closely because you can really apply a lot of pressure with it. ART has been a very valuable treatment to helping me recover from compartment syndrome.
I honestly am in love with my bright pink Nike Air Max running shoes! They have the sensor in them that works with the Nike+ app for iPhone so it tracks my actual run and pushes me to run rather than me pushing myself, so my pace time gets better every time!
My number one item that I can't (or hate to) work without is my Polar HR monitor and watch. I don't think I could run without knowing my pace and I couldn't do boot camp without monitoring my heart rate to make sure I am regulating it. It's important to my heart health that I can get my heart rate up, but I can also get it lowered quickly. My other non-negotiable is my shoes. I made the mistake of wearing shoes someone gave me and even though they were brand new, good shoes, they weren't good shoes for me. They messed up my achilles really bad. I have found that the shoes that are right for me are Sauconys.
I can't go without my iPhone! I use it for Pandora, Fitocracy, and Runkeeper!
I can't live without my Brooks Glycerin 10 shoes because they make my feet and legs feel fabulous! I always wear my Road ID bracelet in case of emergency! I love my Garmin 410 because it helps keep me on pace and shows how far I have gone.
I can't live without my Fitbit because it helps me ensure that my calories out equal my calories in.
I love my Flip Belt at the gym and when I am running because I allows me to keep my hands free!
My smile! No, it isn't gear, but I honestly cannot get myself out the door unless I have smiled in the mirror and told myself I'm going to at least pretend I'm enjoying the workout, no matter what workout that is!
The fitness gear I can't live without include: My Nike sweat suit and my Bell running stroller - without it I wouldn't be able to tote my biggest fan and encourager!
My Belkin Easefit Sport iPhone Armband (in pink) is so far my favorite "sporty purchase". It's comfortable, adorable and even has a place to hold my house key!
- My pink Sparkly Soul Headband: It is the only sports headband I have ever owned that keeps my thick and frizzy hair out of my face while I sweat. Whether is running, dance, kickboxing or lifting weights, it doesn't move! And it's pink and sparkly!
- My Jump Rope: On crazy days when I can't get to the gym and want to switch it up, I turn up the music and jump rope with some tabata intervals. It's inexpensive, portable and works up a great sweat!
- My iPhone Workout Playlist: As a dancer I'm programmed to move to the beat! It gets me pumped to keep moving and helps me set a cadence and pace. I have separate playlists for cardio workouts with fast paced songs, and strength training with slower songs.
- Sparkly Soul headbands: I am a stickler for no random things distracting me from running (I hate running in t-shirts because of the sleeves and I even tuck my shoe laces in). That one stray hair even grazing my head drives me nuts. Sparkly Soul headbands do not move once they are on my head... and I have a big head. With the variety of colors, I always have an option that matches.
- Moving Comfort sports bras: Not to knock Lululemon because they are my favorite running shorts, but their Tata Tamer has nothing on the Fiona. I'm a 32DD, and love that it keeps the girls locked and loaded. Their Rebound Racer comes in a close second - it's my favorite for racer back bras with great support, but I just have to get over the fact that it will take a bit of a Houdini act to get it off after a sweaty run.
- Brooks Adrenalines: I'm a pronator and these are my go to kicks for long runs. They provide ample support without being too heavy or stiff, are comfortable for the higher mileage, and come in a wide width.
I can't live without my iPhone on a run - I need my RunKeeper and running music! I also can't run without my super awesome Moving Comfort sports bra. I'm kinda in love with my SpiBelt, but don't take that on shorter runs.
I can't live without:
My Garmin Forerunner - it keeps me from going out too fast
My Spibelt energy belt - I can grab gels as I go
There are only two things I can't train without:
- I have to have my iPhone - It has my music, my Nike+ Running app, and my Nike Training Club app. Without it, I'd have no focus and no fun!
- I also have to have chewing gum! I have horrible allergies and tend to be a mouth breather when I'm working hard - either lifting or running. Having my gum keeps my mouth from feeling dry and gross and keeps me from over-hydrating and getting cramps!
- I can't live without my Mizuno Wave Creations. I have four pair in rotation: one for running, one for the gym, one for walking the dogs and one old pair for days out at the farm!
- I also can't live without the Under Armour Women's Seamless Essential Sports Bra. So comfortable and enough support for intense or light workouts.
Header image credit: Lululemon Athletica, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lululemonathletica/3832438524/sizes/z/