December Double Downs is Girls Gone Sporty's third monthly Grant Raising Event, and I'm soooo pumped about this one! The last two months have been a lot of fun with #WickedWallies and #LungeForLeftovers, but this month's #DecDoubleDown is going to be even better! The gist is this: By participating in any December fitness event, and enrolling in #DecDoubleDown, you could end up winning cash!
How #DecDoubleDown works
Anyone can use the #DecDoubleDown tag to get support for their December fitness participation. Simply tag any of your runs, workouts, #plankadays, etc. with #DecDoubleDown, and we'll retweet you and cheer you on. But if you want the chance to win cash for getting active in December, here's what you've got to do:
- Officially sign up for #DecDoubleDown by entering your Twitter handle in the box in the right hand sidebar of this page and choosing any donation amount. When you click "Sign Up Now" you'll be taken to PayPal where you can complete your transaction. Your enrollment is good for one entry into the cash prize pool. Note: If you don't have Twitter, you can still play! Just type "NA" in the Twitter handle box.
- Get active! Choose a December challenge or make up your own, then hashtag #DecDoubleDown whenever you track your activity on Twitter. If you plan on tracking your activity on Facebook or Google+, just be sure to tag Girls Gone Sporty or write on our wall so we can keep track of your entries. Each activity tagged with #DecDoubleDown is good for one entry into the cash prize pool.
- That's it!
Seriously, it couldn't be easier! And this month, everything counts. So you want to do #plankaday? Great! You could win cash. You want to do a burpee challenge? Fantastic! You could win cash. Want to do a run streak? Awesome! You could win cash. As long as you're officially enrolled in #DecDoubleDown and you're getting active, you're in the running to win a cash prize.
How the cash prize works
- 75% of every donation goes into the Girls Gone Sporty Grant Fund to help fund the Girls Gone Sporty Grants
- 25% of every donation goes toward the cash prize -- the more enrollments and the more donations, the bigger this pool gets. So if $100 is donated, the cash prize is $25. If $1,000 is donated, the cash prize is $250. The greater the donations, the greater the cash prize!
Who is eligible for a grant?
Anyone! If you have a sporty goal, you should apply for a grant. Our first ever grants were awarded in mid-October to three different women, each with the goal of competing in specific races. We will announce our next grant recipients in mid-November. Our goal with the Grant Fund is to be able to help women all over the world achieve more than they ever thought they could with whatever support we can provide. We welcome your help in supporting this fund and truly, it's the gift that keeps on giving! For every woman who achieves her goals, there are children, husbands, friends and loved ones who are also impacted and changed. And every grant awarded is a reflection of the entire community of sporty women who are banding together to help lift one another up. Seriously, this is not Girls Gone Sporty giving grants, it's the Girls Gone Sporty Community. What a blessing!
Meet two of our first three grant recipients >>
December challenge ideas
Like I said, any December fitness-related event/activity/challenge is eligible for #DecDoubleDown, but if you don't have something already planned, here are a few awesome ideas:
- #12WorkoutsofChristmas challenge put together by Joanna Broadbent at Sports Bras and Sippy Cups
- 12-12-12 Virtual Race planned by Angela Wozniak of Sole Sister on the Run and Charlene Ragsdale of FAB Running
- #MileADay December Run Streak suggested by Nadine Finigan-Carr of Hysterrunner
- Elf on the Shelf Photo Contest hosted by Darlena Kolpak of Run Find Your Happy Pace (make those photos active, ladies!)
- 100 in 100 Burpee Challenge hosted by Chelsie Smith of Balance Not Scale (do one burpee on day one, two burpees on day two, three on day three, etc.); use the hashtag #100burpees
- The Pamela Virtual 5k/30minutes of exercise on 12/28 to raise money for Team in Training hosted by Phyllis at GalFriday4Hire
- Any event being hosted by your gym, a local running club, etc.
- Any race or race training is also fair game! For instance, Shawna of Dr. Shawna Runs is running the OTHTC 50k in early December and the Across the Years 48 hour on 12/30; Pam of Pamdemonium is running a 10k in early December and her first marathon on Dec. 16th and our very first Grant Fundee, Karina of C'est La Vie, is running a New Year's Eve race in New York City! These races and the training leading up to the races are all eligible for #DecDoubleDown this month!
When can I sign up?
Anytime! Whether you sign up on Dec. 1st or Dec. 31st, you're eligible for the cash prize.
Header image credit: http://www.photl.com/228147.html