Who says you can't have your chips and eat them, too? If you're trying to find a way to satisfy your salty/crunchy cravings without killing your healthy eating plan, try these four recipes that are sure to satisfy even the most particular dip-lover.
Healthy Layered Dip
You don't have to ditch the classic seven-layered dip just because you're trying to clean up your diet. Simply choose healthier ingredients when you create your layers.
- 1 can black beans
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 12 ounce container fresh salsa
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado
- 1 small can of sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 sleeve taco seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Lime juice
- Mix black beans with approximately two ounces fresh salsa in the bottom of a microwave safe, deep dish pie plate. Heat the dish for two minutes, then mash the beans and salsa together, making a healthier "refried bean" layer.
- Mix the Greek yogurt with taco seasoning, then spread the mixture on top of the black beans.
- Dice the avocado and mix with lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Add a few tablespoons of fresh salsa to the mixture before mashing the avocado to make guacamole. Spread the guacamole on top of the Greek yogurt.
- Finish the dip by layering the remaining salsa, green onion, sharp cheddar cheese and black olives on top, in that order.
- Serve with Corazonas Black Bean & Cheese Tortilla Chips.
Fresh hummus is a delicious alternative to store-bought bean dips that are often laden with fat and sodium. Try this easy hummus recipe, but don't be afraid to experiment with extra toppings or ingredients for an added kick!
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Roasted red peppers, optional
- Place all ingredients, except salt and pepper, into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer hummus to a bowl and stir in salt and pepper gradually, until you're satisfied with the taste.
- Garnish with parsley, roasted garlic, pine nuts, olive oil or lemon juice, if you would like.
- Cover and refrigerate. Best if allowed to sit overnight before serving.
- Serve with baked pita chips or Corazonas Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips.
If you're the kind of person who likes a little sweet, mixed with a little spicy, mixed with a little sour, this recipe for cranberry salsa will knock your socks off! While you can serve it with any chip you like, Corazonas Squeeze of Lime Tortilla Chips give the dip an added twist of flavor.
Note: Recipe adapted from MedicineNet.com
- 4 ounces 100% cranberry juice
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh jalapenos, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Boil juice in a saucepan until it reduces to approximately one tablespoon syrup.
- Place the reduced cranberry syrup and the remaining ingredients into a food processor and pulse several times, until the mixture is evenly chopped and blended.
- Transfer into a bowl and mix by hand before chilling in the refrigerator until it's ready to be served.
Skip the processed cheese and opt instead for this delicious queso recipe made from real cheeses. Keep in mind that you're still eating melted cheese, so enjoy, but don't go overboard!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces light cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 cup skim or 1% milk
- 12 ounces fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup diced jalapenos, optional
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and chili powder, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan before adding onion, garlic and jalapenos. Stir until they begin to brown.
- Add beer and continue to cook approximately one minute.
- Add one cup milk and bring entire mixture to a simmer.
- Add all three types of cheeses, stirring until the cheese has melted. Reduce heat when cheese begins to melt to prevent burning.
- Stir in salsa, lime juice, salt and chili powder.
- You can add more milk or cheese to attain your preferred consistency.
- Serve with Corazonas Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips.
Why Corazonas Tortilla Chips?
GirlsGoneSporty staff are big fans of chips and dips, and because of that, we've taste-tested a lot of options during late night planning sessions. While most chips are tasty, it's not always easy to find varieties that are healthy, too. We've been super-impressed with Corazonas for a number of reasons:
- The chips taste ah-mazing! They definitely don't skimp on flavor (our personal favorite is the Black Bean & Cheese variety).
- They're packed with three grams of fiber per serving - much more than most tortilla chips.
- They've infused all of their products with plant sterols, which are clinically proven to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Each serving of chips has .4 grams of plant sterols, half of the daily amount proven to improve cholesterol readings. So, if you're more of a chips person than a Cheerios person, Corazonas products are an excellent option.
Main image credit: jeffreyw, http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyww/6637805197/sizes/z/in/photostream/