The Super Bowl marks one of the biggest party-days of the year, and everyone knows that big parties are accompanied by lots of food! There's nothing wrong with letting yourself indulge on party days, but help yourself out by choosing healthier ingredients and snacks with built-in portion control. To help you snack smarter with your fellow football fans, GirlsGoneSporty and Pretzel Crisps are offering up a few delicious recipe ideas. If your mouth hasn't started watering by the time you make it through this article, be sure to check out the rest of Pretzel Crisps' pairing ideas on their website and Facebook page.
Skip the meatball subs and opt instead for this easy Meatballz! recipe.
- Purchase and prepare frozen meatballs. Choose turkey meatballs as a leaner option.
- Cut each meatball in half.
- Place a meatball half and a small sprig of fresh oregano on Garlic Parmesan Pretzel Crisps.
Salads aren't usually considered football-friendly fare, but you can up your veggie intake with this fun twist on the classic Caesar salad.
- Toss a Caesar salad in a bowl by mixing Romaine lettuce with light Caesar dressing and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Place a small amount of the salad mix on top of Original Pretzel Crisps.
- Top the salad with smoked salmon, grilled chicken, slices of tomatoes or black olives.
Skip the fried jalapeno poppers this year and make this twist on the classic appetizer instead.
- Mix light cream cheese with diced fresh jalapenos and small amounts of Panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare reduced-fat bacon or turkey bacon.
- Dob a spoonful of the cream cheese mix on top of Jalapeno Jack Pretzel Crisps.
- Place a small piece of bacon on top of each one.
Chili con Football
You know this recipe was made for pigskin fiestas! Try it instead of the classic Frito Pie or chili cheese dog.
- Make homemade chili or heat up your favorite canned chili. For healthier Chili con Football, opt for turkey or vegetarian chili or make your own chili with extra-lean ground beef.
- Place a dollop of chili onto each Chipotle Cheddar Pretzel Crisps.
- Top the chili with your favorite chili toppings. Great choices include jalapenos, diced onions, shredded cheddar cheese, light sour cream, or slivers of avocado.
Slider on a Crisp
Everyone loves a mini-hamburger, and a few Slider on a Crisps are sure to satisfy even the hungriest football fan.
- Grill tiny hamburger patties on the stove, just large enough to sit on top of a Pretzel Crisps. To make them healthier, mix the ground beef or turkey with cooked quinoa or brown rice. You could even make veggie burgers or black bean burgers if you're catering to a vegetarian crowd.
- Top an Everything Pretzel Crisps with a burger patty, your favorite slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickle slices.
- Finish it off with condiments and a second Everything Pretzel Crisps.