I'm a total summer girl. Even when I lived in Texas, I couldn't get enough of the summer heat and sun... which usually started in March and lasted through October.
Now that I live in Oregon, my sense of the seasons is a little different. I struggle this time of year when days are regularly in the 50s and 60s while nights can dip down into the lower 40s. Add rain to the mix and I start getting bummed. That's why this year, with a month to go until the first official day of summer (June 20th!), I want to host a virtual fitness scavenger hunt to get everyone excited to get outside and get moving for the season to come! Here's how it's going to work:
GirlsGoneSporty's 1st Annual "Warm up for Summer" Virtual Fitness Scavenger Hunt
Just like any scavenger hunt, we're going to provide a series of activities that you will need to complete, documenting them with a photo and/or video. Some of these activities are super-easy and silly, while others will take a little more guts. Some elements will be "required" while others will enable you to earn more points toward the grand prize.
There will be three primary winners for scavenger hunt completion:
- Prize for speed: The first person to complete all required elements will win a Daybreak bag from Lilypond (MSRP $40).
- Grand Prize: The person who completes all required elements and accumulates the most points by the last day of the contest will win a Deschutes Rain Jacket from Redington (MSRP $149.50).
- Prize for creativity: The person who completes all required elements and has the most creative entries will win a workout top of her choice from Back Pocket Sports (MSRP $40-$55.00).
In addition to the prizes for scavenger hunt completion, I will also award weekly prizes for the most creative photo or video turned in that week. This means that even if you're unable to complete the entire scavenger hunt, you still have a chance to win a prize each week you participate! These prizes will be announced on a week-by-week basis.
Entries will be accepted 12:00 am May 20th - 11:59 pm June 20th; weekly prizes will be introduced on Sundays and awarded on the following Saturdays.
Scavenger hunt activities
Each scavenger hunt activity must be captured by photo and/or video and submitted through one of three methods:
- Submit on the GirlsGoneSporty Facebook page
- Submit on Twitter with the accompanying @girlsgonesporty or #girlsgonesporty call-out
- Submit directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org - subject line, "SCAVENGER HUNT" (I will post these videos/pictures to the GirlsGoneSporty Facebook page)
Each activity has a number of points attached - you can accumulate as many or as few points as you'd like. More difficult tasks have more points. There are also ways to increase the point level of each activity. Points only come into play when awarding the grand prize.
- Run through a sprinkler (1 point). Add 3 points if you run through a sprinkler in a clear public place (business, public park, along a road, etc.).
- Go to a park (or your backyard) and swing on a swing set (1 point). Add 2 points total if you also cross the monkey bars and slide down a slide.
- Go swimming (1 point). Add 2 points each if you slide down a slide, swing on a rope swing or jump off a diving board - each one must be documented.
- Go running outside (2 points). Add a point for every person you can get to go on a group run with you (if you document a run with five friends, you get seven total points).
- Play Frisbee with friends (2 points). Add 3 points if you're playing a round of Frisbee golf.
- Play a playground game with friends like Hopscotch, Red Rover or Four Square (2 points). Two additional points for every different playground game you document.
- Jump rope outside (1 point). Add 3 points if you use a long rope and recruit two friends to turn the rope for you as you jump (playground style).
- Jump on a trampoline of any size (3 points). Add 7 points if you go to a trampoline gym and take a class.
- Take a hike (2 points). Add 3 points if you hike at a state or national park (document the park entry with a picture or video).
- Host a cookout (2 points). Add two points if you also roast marshmallows.
If you cannot complete any of the required elements due to a physical injury or contraindication, please email me so that we can work out an alternative element (email@example.com).
Even after you complete all the required elements, you can continue accumulating points up until the cut-off date of the contest. Not only will you earn points, these are great ideas for weekend family fun! So kick off your summer right and start the excitement now!
- Go camping (5 points). Whether you camp out in your back yard or you head to a campground, it all counts! Just make sure you pitch a tent and sleep in sleeping bags!
- Participate in an open-water sport (6 points). Almost anything goes: triathlon, wakeboarding, tubing, surfing, paddleboarding, windsurfing, body surfing, kayaking, canoeing, boating, etc. Any of these will earn you extra points. Want to do more than one? You'll get six points per sport you participate in.
- Take a group bike ride (3 points).
- Go rock climbing/bouldering (5 points). Indoor or outdoor climbing counts!
- Participate in a local race (3 points). Not able to sign up for a walk, run, bike ride or triathlon? That's okay! Participate as a spectator, make a sign and document yourself cheering the other athletes on.
- Play sand volleyball (5 points).
- Take an outdoor group exercise class (3 points). Any type of class will do - boot camp, Zumba, yoga, Tai Chi, etc. Add three points for each different class you take and document.
- Organize a game of wiffle ball, ultimate Frisbee, dodge ball or soccer with friends (5 points). Play more than one outdoor sport with friends? You'll get 5 additional points for each outdoor sport you document.
- Go to an outdoor concert (2 points). Add 5 points if you document dancing to the music.
- DANCE WALK (10 points!). Add 20 points if you dance walk in a clearly public place with other people around (like a mall, public park, busy street, etc.).
Okay, that's it! There's almost no limit to the number of points you can accumulate, so get out there and have fun. Just be sure to take your camera with you wherever excitement might ensue! If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please post them in the comments section!
Note: The GirlsGoneSporty "Warm up for Summer" Virtual Fitness Scavenger Hunt is intended to be a fun and completely voluntary event. By choosing to participate you release GirlsGoneSporty of any liability in case of injury or other harm incurred while participating in stated activities.
Laura Williams, M.S.Ed.
After receiving her bachelor’s degree in exercise and sport science from Texas State University, Laura Williams focused her career on aquatic and fitness management. Over the course of eight years she moved cross-country three times to take on progressively more difficult roles. She left management in 2010 to finish her master’s degree in exercise and sport science from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. She is now a writer, entrepreneur and the “Sporty Girl CEO” of GirlsGoneSporty. When she’s not working, Laura can be found running her dogs, snowboarding, lifting weights, attempting yoga or watching shamelessly trashy television. Connect with Laura on Google+.