Sandwiches are easy, and for most on-the-go women, they're a lunchtime staple. So what happens when the plain ol' PB&J or turkey and cheese sandwich starts to get stale? Well, that's when it's time to build A Better Turkey Sandwich. The key to the most delicious turkey sandwiches is all in the toppings, so try this special meal with an extra-special spread. You'll be amazed at how delicious it tastes, and it'll only take about five more minutes to prepare.
- 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 3-4 slices deli style turkey (look for preservative-free options)
- 1 slice cheddar cheese (feel free to sub the cheese of your choice)
- 1/2 cup pre-cut, pre-washed greens (I used a Spring Mix box of greens)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 single-serve cup lowfat Greek yogurt (I used Olympus Greek Yogurt)
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh salsa, depending on taste preference
- 1 teaspoon dill (I used freeze dried)
- 1 teaspoon chives (I used freeze dried)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onions
- Sliced cucumbers
- Mix Greek yogurt with salsa, dill and chives in a bowl. This will make more spread than you'll use for a single sandwich, so be prepared to put the remaining spread in a sealed container for refrigeration.
- Spread mixture over one piece of bread.
- Add avocado, cheese, greens and turkey. Serve with a side of fresh fruit.
Laura Williams, M.S.Ed.
After receiving her bachelor’s degree in exercise and sport science from Texas State University, Laura Williams focused her career on aquatic and fitness management. Over the course of eight years she moved cross-country three times to take on progressively more difficult roles. She left management in 2010 to finish her master’s degree in exercise and sport science from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. She is now a writer, entrepreneur and the “Sporty Girl CEO” of GirlsGoneSporty. When she’s not working, Laura can be found running her dogs, snowboarding, lifting weights, attempting yoga or watching shamelessly trashy television. Connect with Laura on Google+.