Talk about simple! This is more of a meal idea than a recipe. If you're tired of using sugar-filled jellies and jams, simply switch out your spread for cut fruit. Strawberries are a great option because they can be cut into flat pieces, but use whatever fruits you have on hand - blueberries, peaches, raspberries and blackberries all make great choices. Not only will you benefit from the lower sugar content, you'll also boost your fiber intake and enhance fullness.
- 2 pieces 100% whole wheat bread
- 5 fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- Place the toast in the toaster and toast to your preferred toastiness.
- Cut up strawberries (or other fresh fruit) into easily layerable slices.
- Spread toast with peanut butter.
- Layer fruit on top of peanut butter. Either layer fruit on both pieces of toast and serve open-faced, or layer only on one side and close the sandwich for a quick, portable meal.
Laura Williams, M.S.Ed.
After receiving her bachelor’s degree in exercise and sport science from Texas State University, Laura Williams focused her career on aquatic and fitness management. Over the course of eight years she moved cross-country three times to take on progressively more difficult roles. She left management in 2010 to finish her master’s degree in exercise and sport science from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. She is now a writer, entrepreneur and the “Sporty Girl CEO” of GirlsGoneSporty. When she’s not working, Laura can be found running her dogs, snowboarding, lifting weights, attempting yoga or watching shamelessly trashy television. Connect with Laura on Google+.