After seeing a recipe for slow cooker bread on Pinterest, I couldn’t wait to try it! I had my doubts about how it would taste, but it was really good! I did make a few alterations to the original recipe (adding more rolled oats and subbing flaxseed for wheat germ), but followed the instructions pretty carefully. It was super easy to make and only took three hours in the slow cooker, so it’s great for Sunday afternoon meal-prep or even an after-work project.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm skim milk
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, plus additional for kneading
- Turn your slow cooker on to high heat.
- Find a medium-sized deep bowl or 1-pound coffee can that will nest inside your slow cooker. Make sure that it's oven-safe. Use cooking spray to grease the bowl or can.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water, then add the warm milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg and flax seed. Add flour and mix well.
- Place additional flour on the counter to prevent sticking and remove dough from bowl, kneading it on the counter until it's smooth. This will take about five minutes.
- Move the dough into your greased bowl or coffee can and cover it loosely with tin foil.
- Put a trivet into the bottom of the slow cooker and pour 1/2 cup water into it. Place your foil-covered can or bowl on top of the trivet. Cover the slow cooker and allow the bread to cook for three hours.
- Remove from slow cooker using oven mits and loosen bread from the bowl using a knife or another utensil. Turn the bowl or can upside down to remove the bread.